For our next interview, we present The Malamondos from Greensboro, NC. I really like these guys. They definitely have that surf vibe, but there is also a nice dose of psychobilly attitude in their sound as well. And the guitar tones are killer! The Malamondos also have a badass vocalist (Hunny Goodnight), and they play a self-described ‘psycho-a-go-go’ style of music. Check them out if you find yourself in North Carolina.
20 Questions from SurfGuitar.com, obviously the most popular site on the internet
- How long have you been playing together?
The Malamondos as a band has been around for 7 1/2 years, with the current line-up being in place for 2 1/2.
- What city do you claim as your hometown?
- Do you have any nicknames?
Nah, but we all have stage-names…Hunny Goodnight, Van Serpico, Mick and Max Diablo. Our go-go girls are simply M1 and M2.
- What songs come up on shuffle on your ipod?
Good god…too many to mention by song title…as artists go there’s a lot of garage (old and new), surf, punk…along with other stuff. I have like 24 days worth of songs on there.
- If you had the chance for some interstellar travel, what planet would you colonize?
The one inhabited by big-hair 60s gals!
- What kind of music do you say you play?
- Tell us about everybody’s gear.
I (Van) have a stable of Hallmark guitars…Swept-Wings, Stradettes and 60 Customs. I also have a Phantom Teardrop and a Reverend Ron Asheton signature. I also have most of the recent Dano reissues. I do an A/B/Y amp setup with a Tone King Meteor II and a Dr. Z Maz NR 18. Our bassist primarily uses a Jerry Jones and a Hallmark Swept-Wing with an Ampeg combo. Our drummer has the John Bonham set.
- Spaghetti westerns or spaghetti meatballs?
One while watching the other.
- What’s your favorite venue to play?
The Garage in Winston-Salem, NC.
- Who’s your favorite superhero?
- Are there any other surf bands we should check out?
Killer Filler, The Noseriders…those about the only other surf-type bands we’ve played with. Plus Southern Culture on the Skids usually have one or two great instrumental surf songs on their albums. Same with The Queers.
- If all of your band members were in a knife fight, who would win?
Probably Hunny. She can be brutal!
- Have you ever actually surfed?
Hell, I can barely swim.
- Favorite surf guitar song?
- Favorite SciFi movie?
Hmmmm…tough one…I’m more of a horror guy…I guess Star Wars.
- If you saw Mothra standing on the sidewalk asking for change, would you give him a buck or tell him to get a real job?
Get a job and stop dusting everyone!
- Do you drink beer while you play?
Yup. PBR…nice and cheap.
- When is your next tour?
We really can’t go out for tours, plus people just don’t make it out to live shows like they used to. We tend to play out three or four times a month, though.
- Have you released an album lately or do you plan to release an album anytime soon?
Yes, we’re writing the album now. Looking at recording early next year, with the album being released on a new label called Spider Baby that I’m starting with Joe Queer.
- If you could make a worm hole to any time and place, where would you go?
Mid-60s England, most likely, but I’d split my time there and in the US.