We are beginning a series of interviews with surf bands. Our first interview is with Astrochrist from Dallas, TX. Check it out now! Here even!
- How long have you been playing together?
One earth year.
- What city do you claim as your hometown?
The Sovereign Nation of Texas is our current base of operations.
- Do you have any nicknames?
Sometimes Reverend Dangerwood goes by Susan
- What songs come up on shuffle on your ipod?
What is this ipod of which you speak? Shuffle? Tell me more!
- If you had the chance for some interstellar travel, what planet would you colonize?
We’re actually colonizing yours right now, take us to your babes.
- What kind of music do you say you play?
Cosmic Gospel Surf Music
- Tell us about everybody’s gear.
Father Edna Strange plays his elegant white Telecaster through a purple Marshall Halfstack. Crimbot 5000 plays a Harmony Bass from the 80s (it’s surf I promise) through an Ampeg SVT. Reverend Dangerwood plays, among other things, an Epiphone dot with righteous lipstick pickups through a Fender DeVille (2×12). Brother Bob plays some delightful Pearl kit that I can’t remember right now with a Chad Smith signature snare that has just been set up and resnared for added freshness.
- Spaghetti westerns or spaghetti meatballs?
Westerns! How can you think about pasta when the banditos are running off with our party liquor?!
- What’s your favorite venue to play?
Hot Rod shows like The Round Up in Central Texas
- Who’s your favorite superhero?
- Are there any other surf bands we should check out?
The Surf Coasters from Japan kick all kinds of ass.
- If all of your band members were in a knife fight, who would win?
Brother Bob, his mother is a tiger… a fucking tiger
- Have you ever actually surfed?
Sure, on the internet
- Favorite surf guitar song?
I’m not really into picking favorites, but off the top of my head I’ll just say “Chunder” by Friends of Dean Martinez.
- Favorite SciFi movie?
“Blood Freak…” okay it’s actually a bad horror flick, but it’s got some science bs.
- If you saw Mothra standing on the sidewalk asking for change, would you give him a buck or tell him to get a real job?
If I weren’t broke myself I’d just take him straight to the liquor store and start shoppin.’
- Do you drink beer while you play?
No, silly. My hands are full of guitar, but in between songs, yes.
- When is your next tour?
After college is over.
- Have you released an album lately or do you plan to release an album anytime soon?
Currently in production. Hopefully it will be done soon.
- If you could make a worm hole to any time and place, where would you go?
I would go find Andrew Jackson and punch him in the dick.